TOP:   Do's & Don'ts
Divorce Scenarios - FAQ
Family Court Gone Bad - The Fix


2014 (Elia Ortiz)

2014 (Monique Longhorne)
2012 - 2013 (Rodney Stone)
2010 - 2011 (Diane Price)
2009 (Mark Bossenecker)
2008 (Francisca Tisher)
Judge VS Commissioner?




Child Custody
Children's Attorney
Psych Evaluation
Parental Alienation
Parental Alienation part 2
TV / Videos


Vocational Evaluation
Termination Child Support
Dept. of Child Support Services (DCSS)
Child Support Calculator






Family Law - Overview
Court Calendar
Family Law Facilitator
Rules of Court



Read First: Sample Letters
State Bar Sample Letters 2
Attorney State Bar
Attorney Complaint
Judge Performance CA
How to File Complaint
Judge Complaint PDF




Childrens Attorney (aka, Minors Council) - Napa Childrens Council / Napa Minors Council:

Court appointed attorney to represent the interest of children.
  • This usually occurs when a spouse or court requests to have an attorney represent the children.
  • It can also occur when a child requests this, however most children don't know anything about law and or the ability to have their own legal council.
  • In my case, I did not know this existed? But my children "interestingly" enough knew that they had a right to have their own attorney!
  • The particular parent in this case stated that the "kids" wanted to have an attorney to protect their rights. The reality is that this particular parent has been extremely effective in manipulating the legal system in this case the Napa Court System is allowing this "bully" to run the show
Links regarding Minors Council:

Q&A: Do I get to Pick Minors Council? - NO.

  • The Judge picks the children(s) attorney, usually on a rotation basis and or availability, however it I highly recommend that you find out if you are ok with the attorney chosen.

  • Don't just agree to whom the Judge picks and be Especially Careful if your spouses attorney is quick to agree to the attorney the court suggests. Be Very Careful !

  • I highly recommend you avoid having Ann Lanning represent your children!

Ann Lanning: If your divorce is very contentious, she may not be the best for your case!!!

Click Here for More Ann Lanning - see what Judge Alan Jaroslovsky had to say about Ms. Lanning;s conduct "Bad Faith"/ "Falsely Stated" / "Misconduct"

Check Out the NEW LAW taking Effect in 2012 - Ann Lanning's poor conduct is an example of why attorney's who are NOT licensed in Psychology or health care should NOT be allowed to make recommendations to the court - Ann Lanning should be ashamed of herself!

Elkins task force, which was the result of a California Supreme Court decision, Elkins v. Superior Court, 41 Cal.4th 1337 (2007) "attorneys who represent children are now required to account for their recommendations and opinions, instead of simply rubberstamping what minors’ counsels have typically done in the past." - Ann Lanning should have her Law Licensed revoked!

Anyone and everyone harmed by her, should file a complaint with the State Bar!!!

Below are a few other court attorney's that the courts appoints.

The Court Refuses to provide the list of the attorney's they use, even though the court is a public domain and paid with public funds! ... Welcome the "unbiased" Napa Court System that States "JUSTICE" on it's front door steps!

Samuel Joens:
833 Franklin Napa - Ph: 254-7697

Christopher Loizeaux: 1219 Coombs - Ph: 224-9209

2010 California Rules of Court

Rule 5.240. Appointment of counsel to represent a child in family law proceedings

(a) Appointment considerations

In considering appointing counsel under Family Code section 3150, the court should take into account the following factors, including whether:

(1)The issues of child custody and visitation are highly contested or protracted;

(2)The child is subjected to stress as a result of the dispute that might be alleviated by the intervention of counsel representing the child;

(3)Counsel representing the child would be likely to provide the court with relevant information not otherwise readily available or likely to be presented;

(4)The dispute involves allegations of physical, emotional, or sexual abuse or neglect of the child.

(5)It appears that one or both parents are incapable of providing a stable, safe, and secure environment;

(6)Counsel is available for appointment who is knowledgeable about the issues being raised regarding the child in the proceeding;

(7)The best interest of the child appears to require independent representation; and

(8)If there are two or more children, any child would require separate counsel to avoid a conflict of interest.

(b) Request for appointment of counsel

The court may appoint counsel to represent the best interest of a child in a family law proceeding on the court's own motion or if requested to do so by:

(1)A party;

(2)The attorney for a party;

(3)The child, or any relative of the child;

(4)A mediator under Family Code section 3184;

(5)A professional person making a custody recommendation under Family Code sections 3111 and 3118, Evidence Code section 730, or Code of Civil Procedure section 2032.010 et seq.;

(6)A county counsel, district attorney, city attorney, or city prosecutor authorized to prosecute child abuse and neglect or child abduction cases under state law; or

(7)A court-appointed guardian ad litem or special advocate;

(8)Any other person who the court deems appropriate.

(c) Orders appointing counsel for a child

The court must issue written orders when appointing and terminating counsel for a child.

(1)The appointment orders must specify the:

(A)Appointed counsel's name, address, and telephone number;

(B)Name of the child for whom counsel is appointed; and

(C)Child's date of birth.

(2)The appointment orders may include the:

(A)Child's address, if appropriate;

(B) Issues to be addressed in the case;

(C) Tasks related to the case that would benefit from the services of counsel for the child;

(D) Responsibilities and rights of the child's counsel;

(E)Counsel's rate or amount of compensation;

(F)Allocation of fees payable by each party or the court;

(G) Source of funds and manner of reimbursement for costs and attorney's fees;

(H)Allocation of payment of attorney's fees to one party subject to reimbursement by the other party;

(I)Terms and amount of any progress or installment payments; and

(J)Ability of the court to reserve jurisdiction to retroactively modify the order on fees and payment.

(3)Courts may use Order Appointing Counsel for a Child (form FL-323) or may supplement form FL-323 with local forms developed under rule 10.613.

(d) Panel of counsel eligible for appointment

(1)Each court may create and maintain a list or panel of counsel meeting the minimum qualifications of this rule for appointment.

(2)If a list or panel of counsel is maintained, a court may appoint counsel not on the list or panel in special circumstances, taking into consideration factors including language, culture, and the special needs of a child in the following areas:

(A)Child abuse;

(B)Domestic violence;

(C)Drug abuse of a parent or the child;

(D)Mental health issues of a parent or the child;

(E)Particular medical issues of the child; and

(F)Educational issues.

(3)If the court maintains a panel of counsel eligible for appointment and the court appoints counsel who is not on the panel, the court must state the reason for not appointing a panel counsel in writing or on the record.

(e) Complaint procedures

By January 1, 2010, each court must develop local court rules in accordance with rule 10.613 that provide for acceptance and response to complaints about the performance of the court-appointed counsel for a child.

(f) Termination of appointment

On entering an appearance on behalf of a child, counsel must continue to represent that child until:

(1)The conclusion of the proceeding for which counsel was appointed;

(2)Relieved by the court;

(3) Substituted by the court with other counsel;

(4)Removed on the court's own motion or request of counsel or parties for good cause shown; or

(5)The child reaches the age of majority or is emancipated (In California, that is age 18 and or when graduation high school up to age 19 if still in school).

Rule 5.240 adopted effective January 1, 2008.

THIS WEBSITE and all of the materials and information on the Site is general in nature and are provided for informational purposes only.
Nothing on the Site should be construed as legal advice or used as a substitute for legal advice. The opinions stated in this site are based on personal experience.